Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A December to remember...

So, it's been a while since I've added a new post so I thought I would post an update of what has been going on lately. Just to let you know this is a lengthy post with lots of pictures!! :)

Christmas Eve:

We spent Christmas Eve with one of our favorite families - the other Bartlett's! Brandon's brother, Daniel, his wife Aimee, and their kids Britnee, Amber and Nathan. We all went to dinner at BJ's and then went back to their house for the annual (I believe this was the 5th annual) Bartlett Family Talent Show. We had a very nice time. Mya loves her Uncle, Aunt and cousins very much and we are very lucky to live so close to them. Thanks guys for always hosting us - we love you!!


Mya, Uncle Daniel and Nathan


Mya and Nathan


Mya helping Amber play the piano. I think she's a natural!!




Daniel read the Christmas story that included several Christmas songs to go along. Here we are singing with Aimee accompanying on the piano.


Christmas morning:

On Christmas morning I awoke at 5:00AM when I felt my lip split (like when you've slept all night with your mouth open and your mouth and lips are so dry that you get a small crack in your lip.) Then the pain set in like my lips were on fire. I ran to the bathroom and then down stairs. By now Brandon was awake and wondering what was going on. My lips were swelling at a very fast pace. But this was no ordinary swelling - my lips were moving like there was a creature inside them that wanted to get out. I am totally serious - my lips were actually moving and growing with every second. I had no idea what was going on or why this was happening. By now I am totally freaking out and crying! Luckily my sweet husband and priesthood holder of our home was calm enough to give me a blessing and help calm me down. After that I said we better get to the ER FAST!! We got Mya up, threw on some clothes and took off to the hospital. By the time we made it to the ER my lips were very swollen and numb as were my right chin, cheek and ear. In the ER we finally came to the conclusion that I was having an allergic reaction to something, but what? The night before I ate some yummy shrimp in my pasta at BJ's. Was that it? But I've been eating shrimp for like 15 years. Why would I all of a sudden become allergic to it? It just didn't make sense. But that was all we could think of so the doctor treated me for a food allergy and gave me some kind of steroid and a dose of benedryl. It took the swelling and numbness away in my chin, cheek and ear but my lips were still quite swollen and very numb. After 5 hours in the ER they released me to go home (still feeling swollen and numb.) The doctor had mentioned that dust mites can also cause an allergic reaction and that freaked me out so the first thing I did when I got home was strip the sheets off my bed and washed them right away. While at home I didn't improve much and started feeling tingling in my arms, legs and feet but that soon subsided so I took a shower and a nap because I was totally exhausted. When I woke up from my nap my lips were still swollen and numb so I new that it couldn't be a food allergy because I should be better by now. Later that night when Brandon was getting the sheets out of the dryer so we could go to bed this is what we found...











A scorpion!! I was stung by a scorpion on the underside of my lip. Yes, this scorpion was in my bed, on my face, and in my mouth!! EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!! At least we finally figured out what happened to me. No wonder my lips were moving!! The venom was causing the nerves in my mouth to move. So crazy!! If you were wondering I am doing great now. My lip is almost normal. I still have a little tightness on my upper lip in the area where I was stung but I'm sure it will be back to normal in a couple more days.

Now on to nicer things!

Christmas Night..

After all the craziness finally settled down we gathered round our Christmas tree and let Mya open her presents because after all it was still Christmas! She had so much fun tearing all the paper off. She was sure to get every single piece off too! It was so cute and fun to see her. She knew exactly what to do. We took our time and let her play a little with each toy for a little bit before moving on to another gift. It was really fun! Christmas is really so wonderful with a little person around!! Here are some fun pics of Mya's Christmas.









No more splint...

We finally got to take Mya's splint off! Wahoooooo!! It took her a little bit to get used to using her foot and leg again but before too long she was running and jumping like her usual happy self. We are so glad that her injury wasn't any worse and that she has made a full recovery. We love her so much!!
(for some reason I am having a hard time adding pictures to this post and I really want to get this up so I will post more pictures of Miss Mya running around without her splint soon so stay tuned!)


A wagon ride...

A few days ago we took Mya for a ride in her new wagon she got from Santa. She absolutely loved it! She loves to sit and hold on to the sides and go for rides! We just took a little stroll around our neighborhood and she had the best time!




Looking oh so cute in her Green Bay Packer hat!



And last of all...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!

4 comments:

nickel... said...

Oh man I love the mondo posts but there is just so much to comment on! :)

First of all that scorpion story and picture gave me all sorts of hebby jebbies! I already know I will have to check my sheets before climbing in bed tonight!!! But second, I am a little surprised that the doctor didn't think you bit by a bug. When you said it felt like your lip split, a bug bite is the first thing I thought of (not a scorpion mind you but a bug)!

But onto your lovely Christmas it sounds like all in all it turned out wonderful! I love every bartlett I know so I am really happy that you are around here in Vegas! Mya is ALWAYS styling in her outfits in every picture by the way! She is a really cute cute girl!

Happy new year Bonny! Talk to you soon!

Danalin said...

Oh man, sista! I cannot get over that scorpion story. Freaked me right out. It reminded me of the nasty centipedes that they have in Hawaii and how many of them I put through a painful death while I was there. I don't even feel bad about it because they would have done the same thing to me that the scorpion did to you if I hadn't. I prayed every night that I would be protected from the centipedes. :)

BUT...such a fun Christmas Eve! I too love the Daniel Bartlett family. It was fun to see pictures of everyone.

Man, you guys have had your share of weird happenings/accidents. Now it's on to many blessings and much happiness! Hooray for Mya getting the splint off!

Kirsten said...

Ok, both Brandon and I are so creeped out by that nasty scorpion story!! Icky, icky, icky! I am so glad scorpions don't live in Idaho. I guess I really don't miss the scorpions or cockroaches in Vegas! Ewww!

I am glad you had a nice Christmas! Miss Mya looks so cute in her wagon! What a fun time at the Bartlett's and I can't even believe how much their kids have grown up!

We will be seeing you soon, my dear!

Emily Rocks said...

OH MY GOSH I WOULD DIE!!!! I would totally freak out if there was a scorpion on me. What a great way to spend christmas!!! :) at least you will have a great story to tell...and it's great that you found out what it was...did you have to go back for an anti venom shot or anything? and I LOVE YOUR LAYOUT!!! I saw the link to the pimp my page thing...but where did you go on the page? Very cute!!!!