Thursday, August 13, 2009

Just like Julie Johnson's hair


I know that most of you (only my family) won't know what the title of this post means but I will explain.

The Johnson's are friends of my family and Julie was a good friend of my oldest sister, Nancy. Julie had the most beautiful, long, thick, curly, auburn hair. I always thought if I ever had a girl with red hair I would want it to look just like Julie's. I think I got my wish!! I'm in love with Mya's hair and it seems that everyone else is too.
I can't leave the house without getting a comment or a dozen comments about Mya's hair. People seem to be obsessed with red heads. I've even had a lady chase me down in a store just so she could tell me how beautiful Mya's hair is. Seriously, she chased me down. I was in Costco and it was very busy. She had to dodge a lot of people to get to me. Others love to tell me how their grandkid/cousin/sister/brother/nephew/niece/childhood neighbor has/had red hair. Some people think that all red heads look alike. I once overheard a girl say to her red headed coworker - "That's what your kid would look like if you had one." The comments aren't even limited to girls or ladies. I've had men comment too. An older man once told me that his lovely wife had beautiful hair just like Mya's. I thought that was cute of him. Now I don't mind these comments but when people ask me crazy things like "is that her natural color?" I just want to say "WHAT?" Really people, she's only 2! And then there are some that like to tell me that a lot of people pay a lot of money to get that color and how lucky she is to have such pretty hair.

I've done some online research about red hair. It seems that both parents have to carry the right gene to have a child with red hair but it's not always a given. I always knew that our chance would be extremely high due to Brandon having red hair and I have LOTS of red heads on my mom's side of the family (my grandma was one!) So, my question to all of you is "Do you think our little boy will have red hair?" I'm going to put up a poll on the right side of this blog just for fun and then in about 4 weeks we will find out!!

(Oh, and just so you know - we have narrowed down our names but won't officially name "baby boy" until he is born. We like to keep it a surprise - I think it's more exciting that way!!!)

Now vote and leave a comment! :)

5 comments:

Liesl said...

I loved Julie's hair and I love Mya's hair! She is a beauty, and it is wonderful that you take the time to play with her hair. (And I love your photography skills!)

chrisnbri said...

I remember Julie I have told my husband several times about this girl in missouri with the prettiest red hair,Mya's is the same color I do believe. It's so pretty,She is very cute!

Elder Larkin said...

I too love Mya's hair and tried my hand at creating it for myself, with terrible luck. However, I'm really hoping that when my color calms down that it might be somewhat close. She really is a beautiful little girl, and oh so sweet!!! I DO think your little boy will be a redhead too! Looks like it's in your genes

Jessica said...

Her hair is BEAUTIFUL! I know that some children with red hair really don't like it so whenever I am cutting a red-headed child's hair I take time to tell them how many people love that hair color and how special and unique it makes them... and red hair is the hardest to replicate! It's easy to make someone blonde or brunette but its VERY hard to make someone red and look natural.

Bonny said...

Thanks everyone!! If you ask Mya what color her hair is she says brown. When she thinks of the color red she pictures red like Elmo - so if you tell her her hair is red she says no, it's brown - pretty cute!! :)